Grand Junction TN
Made with Xara
History Of Grand Junction
Grand Junction was founded in 1854 and got its naming from the "Grand Junction" of the
Memphis and the Charleston Mississippi Railroad Lines. These are the major North/South and
East/West lines running thru Grand Junction. Grand Junction and its railroads were a much
sought after prize during the Civil War for whomever controlled the rail roads controlled the rest
of West Tennessee. During the Civil War the Union Army held the city from the Confederate
Army for approx. 3 years. Much of the town suffered destruction during this time.
In 1878 the Yellow Fever epidemic came to Grand Junction and wiped-out more than half of the
150 residents left in the town. Most are buried in the local Cemetery. The town started to
rebuild, several of those buildings still exist today. The
was built in 1858, the
Methodist Church in 1870. The former Presbyterian Church, which is now the
was built in the 1880's.
Grand Junction Tennessee is located in the south western corner of Hardeman County TN. It
is approximately 1 hr east of Memphis and 1 hour west of Pickwick Dam Recreation area The
current population is 321.
Bird Dogs and the National Bird Dog Museum
Grand Junction has recently became the “Field Trial Capital of the World!” The wall is being
erected at the entrance of Grand Junction at the Hwy of 57 and 18.
The National Bird Dog Museum which also houses the Field Trial Hall of Fame and Wildlife
Heritage Center is located in Grand Junction. The famous Ames Plantation is located nearby.
The Ames Plantation was once the home of Hobart Ames, he left his estate to the University
of Tennessee, with the stipulation the National Field Trials would continue. The Field trials are
always held in February at the
Historic Ames Plantation
To find out more about the National Birddog Foundation click here
Join us on FaceBook
505 Hwy 57, Grand Junction, TN
Phone: (731) 764-2058 Fax: (731) 764-3004